The Personality of Northwest New Jersey
“Skylands” is simply a perspective; a way of looking at and appreciating Northwestern New Jersey. “Thinking Skylands” endeavors to meld those characteristics shared by the constituent counties, towns, ridges, valleys, country roads and sections of interstate into a comprehensive portrait; one more attentive to geographic, cultural, and historical attributes than county and municipal borders. Explore the remarkable personality of this place!
- Power Plants
- The forests and fields of Northwest Jersey offer a visitor much more than a walk in the park. They are a veritable garden; Nature's garden of edible and medicinal plants.
- Schooley's Elusive Spirit
- A tour along Schooley's Mountain back roads through parks, lore, and legends.
- Sussex County Birding and Nature Festival
- For a birder, New Jersey is the place to be on June 8 and 9, 2013. The annual Sussex County Birding and Nature Festival is an event you don't want to miss!
- The greatest show in earth!
- Wildlife Management Area Hikes
- Discover over 305,000 acres of little known forests, meadows, streams, and lakes collectively called Wildlife Management Areas - all public property, all owned by the people of New Jersey.
Officially, the Skylands Region refers to Northwest New Jersey and includes the counties of Morris, Somerset, Hunterdon, Warren, and Sussex. Destinations just beyond those borders, in neighboring counties and states (Pennsylvania and New York), are equally intriguing and convenient, so don't be confused if you come across some of those here.
The region contains two national parks at its edges, 60,000 acres of state parkland, and a diverse and beautiful geography filled with lakes, rivers and picturesque hills dotted with farms. The region's rustic nature is perfectly complemented by many vigorous towns and villages that offer wonderful entertainment, shopping and dining opportunities, fine museums, theaters and accommodations. And there is a year round schedule of arts & crafts fairs, antique shows, exhibits and festivals in New Jersey's Great Northwest.
This spring think Skylands!
Make it a point to get out and enjoy the pleasures of the season. We’ve collected lots of ideas for you and your family. Some may be obvious, some might surprise you. We hope we’re helpful when you’re planning an afternoon, a weekend, or perhaps a permanent relocation to New Jersey.
Most of the material you'll find here has been published in our quarterly guide to the region: the Skylands Visitor Magazine. If you'd like a free copy, move over here.